Monday, July 6, 2015

7/6/2015 Week 8 at the MTC Going to Taiwan on 7/14/15



Soooooo first thing's first. I'M GOING TO TAIWANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. I mean i always knew that, but we got our travel plans and I'm flying out on July 14th! Straight from Salt Lake to Tokyo, then from Tokyo to Taipei. Apparently we then have a 3 hr bus ride from taipei to taizhong, crash at like 1 in the morning then go run a mile at six in the morning the next day and have a full day of work. Im so pumped i literally screamed when I saw the plans haha.

Sounds like phil and mish both are working super hard. Phil sounds like he's straight up carrying the team at 24, why has he not gotten the promotion yet? 

Sounds like Amy's having the time of her life this summer, oregon, las vegas, etc. Plus she's working hard at the kindergarten.

Why is psycopharm so much prep time? just because you haven't  taught it in a while? Let me know what happens with the breastcancer paper. Thats so cool about the neurotherapy equipment training thing! IF you could get a treatment study going at SHSU that would be so sweet! Why wouldn't they want you to do it?

Road trippppppppp  that would be way fun. Plus it would be nice to be able to see Kendall's blessing. Makes me sad i wont see her until she's 2 years old :/

You guys have had a bunch of convert baptisms? Who else besides ms lehman? Thats crazy because The Woodlands used to be a huge dry spot.

Sad to see Elder Packer pass away. We'll be attending his funeral via transmission on Friday. We will have an eventful general conference next october.

Senore when you say there are so many things that you wish you had known sooner, got any advice? haha I'll take any I can get. 

you're right, decisions do determine destiny.

In terms of sheets, I guess i'll just buy them there. They'll cost 50$ there but i think im already close enough as is to the 100 lb mark for my bags.

Oh btw is mom still sending these to ppl? Amy and Aunt Deann said they both hadnt been getting recent emails.

I got the package from mom and Sister Smith, thank you for the goodies! :)

Soo this week's devotional speaker was Elder Sitati of The 70, the one who spoke at general conference. I got to shake his hand which was cool. Some of his thoughts that stuck out to me: when asked how the Atonement had personally affected him in his life he said that he had pondered Jesus Christ's suffering ON MANY OCCASIONS, which had made his burden light. It made me think that I personally can do a better job of reflecting on this event more often and how i can draw strength from it. He said that we are going out as soldiers to that battlefield, and that we must remember that the battlefield is not an easy place. However the Savior was on that same battlefield and we can draw strength from that. He also posed the questions of what kind of foundation we wanted to build for the rest of our lives and what we were willing to do to get there? 

This sunday devotional's speaker was Elder oaks daughter. She's apparently a really famous music person, went to Juliard etc. It was cool because she told us about life lessons she had learned and played music on the violin, with her 4 young children on their own classical instruments helping out. Some thoughts from her comments : Much of service has nothing to do with the act but the love. She used to wonder why people needed to make meals for the sick and afflicted when dominos was right around the corner. What she realized though, was that dominos does not deliver love. Another thought - she said that our will is the only thing we can really give God that is truly ours. We've always had our agency, but everything else was given to us by God. If we really want to show our devotion to Him we need to give ourselves completely over to Him.

Some funny experiences from this week - in a lesson I tried to Share 1 Nephi 3:7, but because my BOM was in characters I accidentally shared 2 Nephi 3:7, which was about raising up a choice seer out of the fruit of my loins...haha Luckily mine wasn't as bad as one of the new elders tho. They were trying to share a scripture on prayer from D&C 9:7-9 but accidentally shared Moroni 9:7-9. I'll let you look that scripture up yourself to see why it was so strange that the elder said this was his favorite scripture.

On the fourth of July we got to go to a devotional, where someone talked about the evolution of freedom and such and that was pretty cool. Made me love my country even more.  Then we got to go outside to watch the fireworks from the parking lot. We had glow in the dark balloons so it was pretty much a party. Even got to stay up to 11 - crazy, right? Wonder if we'll get to celebrate in Taiwan...

As far as some spiritual experiences this week, when I was teaching about Joseph Smith this week I shared a  memorized chinese translation of the first vision with one of my "investigators." Even though I know they weren't real, hearing that account come from my mouth brought the Spirit so strongly. I was overcome with it. Super cool.

I was reading this week in 2 Nephi 26 where it talks about how Jesus Christ did nothing save for the love of the world, and that he layed down his life so that he may draw all men unto Him. He did this free of charge simply because heloved us. I was reading later in Jacob 2:17 when it talks about how we need to think of others like unto ourselves and be "free with our substance, that they may be rich like unto you." These two scriptures made me think that the best way that we can reciprocate the love that the Savior showed us by dying for our sins is by showing that same love to other people.

Oh also this Sunday we had a mission conference, and one of the speakers made a really interesting comment. He said that when Jesus is called the Alpha and the Omega, one way that we can think about it is that He is the beginning (alpha) of peace, joy and happiness and the end (omega) of pain suffering, sickness, and weakness. All things will be made right through Him, and I know this to be true.

Anyways, I love you guys a ton and miss you! Have a great week!

Elder Nelson

Nizhanglao

P.S. Jacob 4:8 made me think of you and N-space tell me what you think o.0 

No comments:

Post a Comment